It's rarely good news when Latin American politics makes headlines. For those who haven't been monitoring the situation in Venezuela, the "chavista" revolution that began in the 90’s has blossomed into a full-blown meltdown. Think 20th-century socialism was bad? Wait until you hear about Hugo-Chavez-inspired “21st-century socialism,” complete with hyperinflation, widespread famine, and narco-trafficking leaders bent on leading the country further into ruin. Chavez may be gone, but his legacy of misery lives on. Fergus Hodgson, founder of Antigua International, is a prolific writer and global citizen who has been observing Venezuelan politics for years, and has spent time in numerous Latin American countries. Fergus believes we must examine the underlying ideals of revolution in Latin America to understand why the situation is so desperate. Many Venezuelans are seeing through Nicolas Maduro’s failed policies, but the United Socialist Party of Venezuela is clinging to the dictatorship and blocking democratic paths to reform. With protests growing in size and intensity, history is being written. The coming days could determine Latin America's course for years to come.
- Antigua International
- If the FARC deal passes, kiss Colombia goodbye, Fox News Latino - Sept. 16, 2016, by Fergus Hodgson
- Brutal Honesty on the Failure of Latin America: Even Decades Later, Carlos Rangel Dishes It Out in Spades, by Fergus Hodgson, June 25, 2014
- Ian Vasquez on the Prospects for a Free Cuba April 03, 2016
- Fred L. Smith, Jr. on Cuba Libre February 01, 2015
- Have Our Banks Become Nationalized? December 18, 2011
- Yeonmi Park – North Korean Defector: "Juche" Dies, Markets Rise June 22, 2014